common filesystem for Linux and FreeBSD

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu Dec 20 07:22:36 PST 2007

On 12/18/2007 2:17 AM Chad Perrin said the following:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 11:06:15AM +0530, Girish Venkatachalam wrote:

[snip]
>> If FFS2 and EXT3 are ruled out, then what is remaining? ;)
>>
>> XFS?
>>

> Maybe?
>
> My impression is that there isn't good UFS support in Linux, and that
> stable ext3 support is read-only in FreeBSD.  If that's the case, then it
> really does seem to come down to a matter of figuring out whether XFS,
> JFS, or ReiserFS (to throw out a few examples) have stable read/write
> support in both Linux and FreeBSD systems.

I use XFS on a Gentoo Linux distribution for a MythTV box and it has
performed well for me.  I've lost power on several occasions and the
filesystem has remained intact.  However I recall reading somewhere that
XFS is better tuned for large files (such as the TV recordings that are
2+ Gb each) so you may want to check that before settling.

I have no idea about XFS on FreeBSD.

[snip]

HTH,

Drew