SSH through port forwarding

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 07:23:54 PST 2007

> Security through obscurity is a poor substitute for security. Port
> scanners
> will eventually find that port also.
>
> Have you checked to see if a firewall is set up that could be blocking the
> port?

Not a thorough check, but my father did turn off the firewall system on that
linksys router.  I believe he checked some box that basically opened up
everything.  I'm expecting that it's more likely what someone else said
earlier that the ISP may be blocking it.  I say this for two reasons:

1) When a connection attempt is made, the error I get is a time out not a
refusal to connect.  No pun intended but that smells, or should I say
sniffs, of a firewall.
2) On a different system that I help build here in Boise, I'm getting the
same problem when we set it up at my friends house.

Andy