csh programing book

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Dec 16 21:43:06 PST 2007

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 02:57:12PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:

> Actually, I like ksh better, if you are really going all out for a
> programming shell, but if you're really after a scripting language, why
> restrict yourself to shells?  things like Python & Ruby knock hell out
> of both ksh and bash.  That's hardly even arguable.  Too bad there isn't
> a good friendly shell-like mode to Python.  Ruby would be out there, you
> couldn't even think about using a OO based tool for a user shell, those
> things need to be thought out, and that's the antithesis of being a
> friendly shell.

Considering I use Ruby's interactive interpreter, irb, all the time -- I
don't really agree that you couldn't make a good user shell from Ruby.  A
couple of tweaks in the way irb works would make for one of the best user
shells I'd ever seen.  All that's missing is an easier way to execute
external programs, as far as I can tell.

Phillip J. Haack: "Productivity is not about speed. It's about velocity.
You can be fast, but if you're going in the wrong direction, you're not
helping anyone."