Apparently, csh programming is considered harmful.

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun Dec 16 16:39:18 PST 2007

Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 14/12/07 Giorgos Keramidas said:
>
>> Tcsh is a fine shell.  I'm using it all the time (that's how I found out
>> that a buglet reported by Kris Kennaway a few months ago was indeed a
>> bug which I could reproduce too).
>
> I always found csh/tcsh aliases annoying, since there are no shell functions.
> I also found the shell redirection awkward.

There;s one item that is much more easily done in csh/tcsh than in the
sh based ones .... that's redirecting the stderr along with the stdout.
  with tcsh, when I do a make, I commonly do a:

make |& tee makeout

which causes both the stdout and stderr files to be redirected to the
"makeout" make listing file.  I;'ve never figured out any reasonably
simple way to do that in any sh-like shell.  Is there any simble way
that you know of?