OS bug in taskq

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Sun Dec 16 12:45:28 PST 2007

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 03:58:10PM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 01:03:14PM -0700, Elliot Finley wrote:
> > I have:
> > dumpdev="AUTO"
> > in /etc/rc.conf and:
> > in the kernel and I'm still unable to obtain a crash dump.  Hopefully
> > there is enough info in this email for a hacker to point me in the
> > right direction to debug this.
>
> I can't help with the panic itself, but the reason for the inability to
> obtain a crash dump is mentioned in a thread I started in November:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-November/038069.html
>
> The explanation of the problem was documented best by Doug Barton in
> this thread (over at freebsd-rc@):
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-rc/2007-November/001263.html
>
> Open PR:

  Why does it work *sometimes* then?  Or was this particular problem
introduced more recently than the 6.2 branch?

  I have two apparently similarly configured systems running 6.2p8,
with identical hardware, identical apps, and identical load, and I have
at least attempted to configure them the same way.  Both have
/var/crash set up and "dumpon" enabled in rc.conf.  Both crashed in the
last week.  I got a dump on one, which I now need to analyze, but have
twice failed to get a dump on the other.  (Once this past week, once
the previous month.)

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net