Suggestions please for what POP or IMAP servers to use

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Dec 14 14:13:36 PST 2007

As I said I did a survey of all known web clients earlier this
year that did not require a specific server - I might have even posted it to
the list.  But I guess that's a challenge to some people to "prove" I don't
know what
I'm talking about. ;-)

If you feel you must avoid "c-client" you can do it
the following way:

1) The webmail that comes with SquirrelMail I would be surprised if it
uses it - but, that webmail is inseparable from the SquirrelMail SMTP
server and cannot be installed separately.  I didn't test it because of
that.

2) Openwebmail is one of the few webmails that can -directly- access
the mailboxes through the filesystem - of course you have to configure
it to do this - and I think the port of it has the PHP imap extension
listed as a dependency anyway.  Neomail is the predicessor to openwebmail
and is the same - of course, it has several known security holes.

3) Nullsoft webmail is pop3 only and does not use the c-client libs.
There are significat problems with running webmail using a pop3 backend.

4) ilohamail wrote his own imap library and does not use c-client.  Its
not a bad webmail but the developer lost interest in it a while ago.
you need to load it from the CVS.  signatures in the cvs distro are broken,
everything else works.

Ted

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11:29 AM