mounted cd and tray locking

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Thu Dec 13 02:28:43 PST 2007

on 13/12/2007 12:13 Nikos Vassiliadis said the following:
> On Thursday 13 December 2007 11:42:00 Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> on 13/12/2007 09:30 Nikos Vassiliadis said the following:
>>> I have no atapicam in my kernel. Nor hald running.
>>> I reproduced it like this:
>>> mount /cdrom
>>> cdcontrol eject
>> I don't think you reproduced it. Why would you execute the above command
>> unless it is your intention to eject the disk ?
>
> You got it wrong. cdcontrol *does not* eject the disk, it works
> correctly, as it should. cdcontrol never ejects mounted media.

Well, I got it right, it's just that in my opinion you knew what you
were doing.

> It triggers the situation where I can then press the eject key
> on the cdrom and really eject the cdrom.

It would be interesting to see what exact ioctls/commands cdcontrol
issues. ktrace+kdump can help with this. Assuming your drive is ATAPI
(not SCSI) then if only CDIOCEJECT is issued then the drive should not
become unlocked.

>> I am talking about something else, disk is ejected even if my cat
>> accidentally touches eject button and he is not smart enough to type any
>> commands on console :-) Well, I don't have a cat, it's just a figure of
>> speech.
>
> Nevertheless ejecting a mounted medium is wrong. And that's not
> a feature. This is obviously a problem, regardless of how you
> trigger it. Would you like to file a PR?

Well, I see your point and probably I would agree 80% with you :-)
But this issue seems to be a little bit different from the issue that
concerns me most (which I explained in another email).
Someone could reply to your problem with that old joke:
- Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
- Then don't do it.
There is not so simple an answer to my issue.

--
Andriy Gapon