performance impact of large /etc/hosts files

Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wundram at beenic.net
Wed Dec 12 23:23:51 PST 2007

Am Donnerstag, 13. Dezember 2007 06:52:41 schrieb Gary Kline:
> 	well, thi sounded great until I read "squid".  Isn't that
> 	something to do with FBSD and Windows?  If not, how hard is squid
> 	to install; what does it do?

You're probably thinking of samba, which is an implementation of the SMB
protocol (server-side) for *nix-systems. The operating system using SMB as
client is most probably Windows in case you set up a samba server.

squid is an HTTP-proxy. Something completely different. And setting it up (at
least with a default configuration, which you'll have to adapt) is simply
installing the port and starting it.

--
Heiko Wundram
Product & Application Development