(postfix) SPAM filter?

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 22:00:04 PST 2007

On 12/12/07, Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a need for a relatively painless anti-spam solution that would
> reduce the amount of incoming spam (via postfix mail router). The
> problem is that i have little knowledge on what this actually means.
> Googling reveals a whole "universe" of interesting ways but what should
> i pursue?
> The things that are important to me is:
>
> * Once it is setup then it would require no additional maintenance.
> * Potential spam messages are marked with a special header that can be
> filtered on user discretion on their local mail client software.
>
> Neither performance, scalability, license nor cost is of much importance
> to me at this point.
>
> Any hints?

Yes, one recommendation for sure. Give up on your first goal. It'll
never happen, because fighting spam is an arms race, with new tactics
needing to be adopted.

As for the second goal, spamassassin along with one of several
packages will do well for you - I use Maia Mailguard, but I've heard
good things about MailZu with Amavisd-new as well.

Others will talk about other packages. It's worth taking a look at
each of them to figure out what works for you.

Kurt