performance impact of large /etc/hosts files

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Wed Dec 12 13:10:24 PST 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:05:53 -0700 (MST)
Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> It may be possible to use an Adblock "subscription" to update a squid
> setup.  That would provide the best of both.

There's no need to do that, you can use a script like adzapper with
squid. It's in ports (www/adzap), so you can pickup a new default
rule file with port updates. And you can define additional rules and
exceptions. The only thing I had to set was some exceptions for sites,
I don't mind seeing adds for.

There's at least one other add blocking squid redirector in ports.