performance impact of large /etc/hosts files

Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wundram at beenic.net
Wed Dec 12 04:08:20 PST 2007

Am Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007 13:01:14 schrieb Alex Zbyslaw:
> <snip explanation>
> I don't see how a firewall is appropriate for this (hosts.allow,
> likewise).  The point of the exercise is to never even contact the ad host.

Transparent proxy with squid on the firewall? There's even plugins to manage
exactly this kind of ad-blocking with squid; although I don't currently know
the extension's name.

This is pretty much going to be your only option to do this in a centralized
fashion.

--
Heiko Wundram
Product & Application Development