performance impact of large /etc/hosts files

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Wed Dec 12 00:05:39 PST 2007

Hi,

Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 December 2007 04:06:01 Erich Dollansky wrote:
>>> There's no clean solutions to getting different lookups per-user that
>
> Both ipfw and pf support tables, which is what you

I would like to avoid having a fire wall running on each machine.

> Out of curiosity, how big your hosts file is?

It is above 600KB since I included also the information I found on sites
like this:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Since I joined my private file with this one

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

it grew to the mentioned 600KB from below 10KB.

If you still see unwanted content, just add a line and it will be gone
during your next visit.

The beauty is, Internet feels still faster then before.

It has one advantage over all those ad removal tools. It filters what I
do not like. It has nothing to do with censorship, it just gets rid of
all the crap hanging around on every corner of a web page trying to sell
you anti virus software or larger dicks.

Erich