named mystery

jekillen jekillen at
Tue Dec 11 17:29:34 PST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007, at 4:09 AM, Derek Ragona wrote:

> At 12:57 AM 12/10/2007, jekillen wrote:
>> Hello:
>>  I have two name servers for four domains.
>>  The primary name server is running FreeBSD v 6.0
>>  and the secondary is running v 6.2.
>>  I have an MX record for each of the four registered
>>  domains. I have set up Postfix to act as a smart host
>>  mail hub (the MX host). One of the named record
>>  database is for one of the sites. When I try to send
>>  an E-mail from this message to list e-mail address. The messages
>>  bounce for dns lookup failure.
>>  The name that is being looked up is
>>   <mxhost>.<domainName>.<tld>.<targetDomainName>.<tld>
>>  Some how the two names are being mashed together and then
>>  looked up, causing the resolution failure.
>>  dig -t MX produces the record according to
>>  my ISP's name servers, which is the mashed version. Possibly they
>>  have it wrong? Someone is screwing up the lookup for this.
>>  There was a period missing after the MX host name record.
>>  I added that and rebooted the machine with the primary name
>>  server just to insure that named got the change and checked the
>>  secondary record and it has the change
>>  I did dig -t MX and got my secondary
>>  name server responding. I checked the primary server to see that
>>  it is actually running at the time, it was and is.
>>  but the bak file on the secondary server has
>>  <clip>
>>                 IN              MX      10      host.domain.tld.
>>  $ORIGIN targetDomain.tld.
>>  </clip>
>>  when the record on primary server is
>>  <clip>
>>  @               IN              MX      10      host.domain.tld.
>>  </clip>
>>  @ in this context should reference the domain this
>>  file is for.
>>  If anyone is a wiz at dns record and problems can you
>>  make any suggestions or recommendations?
>>  thank you in advance
>>  Jeff K
>  Jeff,
>  I just checked how my DNS files look on two 6.2 servers.  The primary 
> zone files will have the:
>  @
>  while the secondary zone files will not have these.
>  In my zone files the MX appears on the primary as a the lines:
>  ; MX Record
>  @               IN MX   10
>  Note the last period after the domain suffix is there to show it is a 
> fully qualified name, with that name defined earlier in this zone 
> file.
>  On the secondary server the zone files has:
>                          MX      10
>  In both files the 10 is the weight for the MX record.  If you have 
> multiple servers you want to accept email, you would use this number 
> to designate the order they should get mail, smaller numbers are 
> primary to get email.
>  When you make a change on the primary DNS server zone file be sure to 
> change the serial number in that zone file.  Also I usually stop and 
> start named on the primary.  I also remove the backup files on the 
> secondary servers and stop and start named on those too to see that 
> the new files are transferred and thus being used.
Yes, I did increment the serial number and put in the final dot. I am 
still getting test messages rejected for name service lookup 
failure--with no explanation.
I contacted the isp about it. It seems as though the rejection was base 
on a cached response.
Thanks for the info;
Jeff K

More information about the freebsd-questions mailing list