still no luck in coping a 6 G dvd to a 4.7 dvd...

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Dec 11 12:17:41 PST 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 07:29:47AM -0500, Randy Pratt wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 00:21:49 -0800
> Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
>

> > 	Guys, I've set up a test account which is pure KDE.  Still,
> > 	using both my Pioneer and the Lite-on burners, no luck in burning
> > 	a DVD that is larger than thee default.  This time I'm using a
> > 	documentary that I own, so there is nothing wrong in making a
> > 	backup.   Results: Same thing as happened with the other
> > 	commercially created DVD.
> >
> > 	K3B reads the disk flawlessly, but growisofs fails (perhaps) to do
> > 	its thing.  In any case, the program complains that there is not
> > 	enough space on the blank and spits out the disk.
> >
> > 	I've tried replacing "auto" with "generic-mmc-raw" on the Lit-On
> > 	burner.  Nope.  Anybody other suggestions?
>
> It may be that the source DVD is using some compression method to
> fit the content on a 4.7G DVD.  The size of the original DVD can
> be checked with "dvd+rw-mediainfo" (sysutils/dvd+rw-tools), ex:

	The source is just over 6GB.  bOth of my devices play them.
	k3b gave the exact number, but it is over 6.1 G.

> 	# dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cd0
>
> If the source DVD is a 4.7G DVD then the simplest way might be to
> first make a duplicate image with "dd", for example:
>
> 	# dd bs=2048 if=/dev/cd0 of=duplicate.iso

	Ah, ok, this is what k3b put in /ust/tmp/kde-kline/foo.iso.  I
	decided to just-leave it for now. Only my source DVDs are around
	6G rather than 4.7G.

> This should produce an image of suitable size in the current
> directory to fit on another DVD which can be burned with
> "growisofs" (sysutils/dvd +rw-tools):
>
> 	# growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=4 -Z /dev/cd0=duplicate.iso
>
> The preceeding commands are only examples and may need to be
> adjusted for your hardware/situation.

	I'm going to have to man -t the man page and read offline.
	Looks like I'll need to compress the source. On Sunday, Michel
	Talon mentioned "dvdshrink"; locate doesn't find it.

	thanks much, Randy,

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix