Connecting networks

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at teledomenet.gr
Tue Dec 11 06:52:48 PST 2007

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 15:29:29 Alaor Barroso de Carvalho Neto wrote:
> Hi guyz, it's me again. I think I don't know what I'm doing, so I ask
> for help. I have three private networks(192.168.1, 10.10.0, 192.168.2)
> and a link to the external world 200.212.X, what I want to do is that my
> FreeBSD connect all the networks to the external world and the 192.168.1
> to the 10.10.0, so a machine in 192.168.1 would ping to a machine in
> 10.10.0. I have a brand new copy of freebsd in my machine, I just
> configured the four interfaces in rc.conf, that's all I did.
> gateway_enable is set to true. The interfaces are connected to each
> network. What's the next step?

It should be OK. Did you do "/etc/rc.d/netif restart"
& "/etc/rc.d/routing restart"?

Keep in mind that the private networks are for private use.
And that the next hop router(the one thats connects to the
internet) will probably drop the packets on the floor, if
configured correctly?

Your wording was not very clear on the private network subject,
so I am clarifying a bit. You do not mention NAT or some other
mechanism that will allow you IP communication with other
hosts external to your network. Please post more info...

Nikos