DVD's and FreeBSD

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Mon Dec 10 15:40:03 PST 2007

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 03:23:52PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:

> >>Totem is not good DVD player and that has to do nothing with the
> >>FreeBSD, OpenBSD or whatever Linux you want to use. You may read
> >>here why is so difficult to use DVDs
> >>http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
> >
> >	I will see why totem just-works {TM} with Ubuntu.  While here it
> >	is missing plugin, etc......
> >>Ogle is by far the best DVD player but VLC and MPlayer are able to play
> >>stunning number of different proprietary and non-proprietary video and
> >>audio formats.
>
> I know that comment about ogle certainly used to be correct. but I think
> that may possibly be dated information.  My FreeBSD machine is pretty
> new, squeaky-clean, and all of the following dvd players (ones which I
> have tried so far, doesn't mean they're the only ones either) work just
> great: vlc, xine, ogle.  Even though kmplayer works, I found it's
> interface (which uses mplayer and xine as backends) ssmed a little clunky.

	ogle fails due to some permissions problem:

ERROR[ogle_nav]: faild to open/read the DVD
DVDSetDVDRoot:: Root not set
p3 15:23 <tao2> [1683]

	With kmplayer, altho it works with virtually everything,
	it is a bi t"clunky".  Also, it will not show the menu part
	of my DVD.  So far, vlc wins (in my lineup).  But it's not
	intuitive at  all.  A cheet-sheet of the 50 top places to click
	would be a plus.

> Anyhow, it might be time for taking another looksee.  All 3 of those
> )vlc, ogle, xine) were really sharp and easy to use, good 5.1 audio
> using my optically connected sound system.

	It may be my last contribution befoore I cash out, but I *will*
	do a thorough, reable piece on gtting k3b to work.  ...Hopefuully!

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix