Userdir mod in apache2.2

Alain G. Fabry alainfabry at belgacom.net
Mon Dec 10 00:38:49 PST 2007

Apache/2.2.6 (FreeBSD)
PHP Version 5.2.5
FreeBSD 6.2

Trying to get the userdir module to work but it seems to fail all the time due to 'You don't have permissions....'

Main webserver works fine. Only when trying to go to the 'http://localhost/~user/index.html' I get the permissions error.

when looking at phpinfo -> loaded modules identifies mod_userdir

I've uncommented the following in httpd.conf
Include etc/apache22/extra/httpd-userdir.conf

I've changed my extra/httpd-userdir.conf to where homedirs are in /data/username

UserDir public_html
(Also tried to put UserDir enable username)
<Directory "/data/*/public_html">
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit Indexes
    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Limit>
    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
    </LimitExcept>
</Directory>

I've made sure that the whole /data/username/public_html is readable by everybody by a simple
chmod -R 755 /data

But I just cannot get my userdir to functions correctly.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Alain