named mystery

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Sun Dec 9 22:56:13 PST 2007

Hello:
I have two name servers for four domains.
The primary name server is running FreeBSD v 6.0
and the secondary is running v 6.2.
I have an MX record for each of the four registered
domains. I have set up Postfix to act as a smart host
mail hub (the MX host). One of the named record
database is for one of the sites. When I try to send
an E-mail from this message to list e-mail address. The messages
bounce for dns lookup failure.
The name that is being looked up is
  <mxhost>.<domainName>.<tld>.<targetDomainName>.<tld>

Some how the two names are being mashed together and then
looked up, causing the resolution failure.

dig targetDomainName.com -t MX produces the record according to
my ISP's name servers, which is the mashed version. Possibly they
have it wrong? Someone is screwing up the lookup for this.

There was a period missing after the MX host name record.
I added that and rebooted the machine with the primary name
server just to insure that named got the change and checked the
secondary record and it has the change

I did dig @targerDomainName.com -t MX and got my secondary
name server responding. I checked the primary server to see that
it is actually running at the time, it was and is.
but the bak file on the secondary server has
<clip>
		IN		MX	10	host.domain.tld.
$ORIGIN targetDomain.tld.
</clip>

when the record on primary server is
<clip>
@		IN		MX	10	host.domain.tld.
</clip>
@ in this context should reference the domain this
file is for.
If anyone is a wiz at dns record and problems can you
make any suggestions or recommendations?
thank you in advance
Jeff K