copying DVD material :: somewhat OT.

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Sun Dec 9 17:41:09 PST 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 01:09:40 +0100
Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 11:57:18PM +0000, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> > I tried youtube-dl but every url I tried gave
> > youtube-dl: No match.
> >
> > eg
> >
> > %youtube-dl http://youtube.com/watch?v=gpIM3nBR2ZA
> > youtube-dl: No match.
>
> You have to quote the argument to youtube-dl, otherwise the shell will
> mess it up, because '?' is a special character for the shell.
>
> So use: youtube-dl 'http://youtube.com/watch?v=gpIM3nBR2ZA'

An alternative is the "All-In-One Video Bookmarklet" which you can get
here:

http://1024k.de/bookmarklets/video-bookmarklets.html

It's just a little bit of javascript that's small enough to live in a
bookmark. It turns the current page into a list of download links. I
find it a lot easier than youtube-dl.