question about ordering of lines in rc.conf

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Dec 9 09:56:54 PST 2007

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 05:31:59PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
> It appears that the order of the *_enable="YES" lines in /etc/rc.conf is
> important.  I am looking at a HOWTO for HPLIP in which the author suggests
> adding two lines in a certain order.
>
> Since I recently had a problem with jabberd starting before myslq was ready to
> accept connections and I just found that  jabberd_enable="YES" precedes
> mysql_enable="YES" in my rc.conf, I am wondering whether order is important.
> Can anyone provide an answer?
>
> I solved the problem I was having with jabberd but in a different way.

The ordering of the lines in /etc/rc.conf is not important.
The only time order matters in /etc/rc.conf is if you were to set the
same variable at two different lines. In that case only the last
value would be used.

In particular the ordering of lines within /etc/rc.conf does not influence
in which order various services should be started.  There are other
mechanisms which control that.  Read the rc(8) and rcorder(8) manpages for
all the gory details.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson