Scanner Compatibility

Michaël Grünewald michael.grunewald at laposte.net
Sun Dec 9 00:54:38 PST 2007

Predrag Punosevac <punosevac at math.arizona.edu> writes:

>> If I do understand, this seems a close analogue of PPL files in the
>> printing world, right?
> You meant PPD files?

Yes that's what I meant!

>> In fact, I have no serious reason to run amd64 since I use my amd64
>> computer as a ``user workstation'' and the main benefit from running
>> amd64 is to manage huge amounts of RAM --- as far as I can tell from
>> the various docs I have read. My reasons to run amd64 are mainly geeky
>> or childish :)
>>
> I hope you do not have 32 Gb of RAM as my neighbor who is a gamer  and
> passionately in love with
> Windows Vista:-) On another hand those gamers are the reason that I
> can go to junk yard and get a
> PIII with 512 Mb of RAM and 10Gb Hard-drive for $5. I am a happy
> camper!

The only reason I disregarded my K2-400 with 128 Mo (from'97) in favor
to a somewhat new material was that PostScript/PDF rendering was way
too slow on the former machine. I am mainly working with Emacs,
producing TeX documents and OCaml programs. For these activities $5
computers are excellent!
--
All the best,
Michaël