copying DVD material :: somewhat OT.

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sat Dec 8 23:40:03 PST 2007

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 14:18:25 -0700
 Predrag Punosevac <punosevac at math.arizona.edu> wrote:
 > Gary Kline wrote:
 > > 	Folks,
 > >
 > > 	IFF k3b works, and I think it might, I'll put up a howto
 > > 	on  my bsd virtual site.   Make this domain more useful.
 > > 	The help from this group has been outstanding, but getting things
 > > 	CD and DVD actually working has been a study in persseverancce.
 [..]
 > I wrote K3b how to
 > http://www.bsd-srbija.org/dokumentacija/doku.php/rezanje_cd_i_dvd_diskova_pomo%C4%87u_k3b
 > but you will need little bit of Serbian language to read it.
 >
 > Actually probably you could follow article even if you do not speak
 > Serbian as the language is generic and there are only three important
 > steps you need to do.
 >
 > Step 1 Editing your /boot/loader.conf file with
 >
 > atapicam_load="YES"
 > hw.ata.ata_dma="1"
 > hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
 >
 > since FreeBSD is using atapicam device to write DVD
 >

 > Step 2 Edit your /etc/devfs.conf with various permission. Most of those
 > are needed for a work station anyway
 >
 > perm      /dev/acd0   0666
 > perm      /dev/cd0    0666

I'm more comfortable with putting users in a group (operator, burner,
whatever) and setting perms to 660 .. but anyway ..

 > # Commonly used by many ports
 >
 > link  cd0 cdrom
 > link  cd0  dvd
 > link  cd0  rdvd
 >
 > link  acd0 cdrom
 > link  acd0 dvd
 > link  acd0 rdvd

All good stuff, but just one point that Roland Smith picked up on in
another incarnation of this topic recently .. 'link' in devfs makes a
symlink in /dev, and you can't make two symlinks with the same name.

On my 5.5-S system I'd long had in devfs.conf:

  link    acd0    cdrom
  link    cd0     cdrom

but ls -l /dev/cdrom shows

  lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  4 Nov 28 01:27 /dev/cdrom -> acd0

so it seems the first link is made and any subsequent silently ignored
(or at least, I haven't spotted any console messages complaining of it)

 > # Misc other devices
 >
 > perm    cdrom   0666
 > perm    dvd     0666
 > perm    rdvd    0666
 > perm    xpt0    0666
 > perm    pass0   0666
 >

 > Step 3 Edit your /etc/fstab file if you want to use K3b as a normal user
 > since the disk has to be mounted on the mount point which belong to you
 >

 > [pedja@ /usr/home/Pedja]$ more /etc/fstab
 > #These are my options
 > /dev/cd0     /usr/home/Pedja/mnt/cdrom cd9660   rw, noauto      0       0
 > /dev/acd0    /usr/home/Pedja/mnt/cdrom cd9660   rw, noauto      0       0
 >

 > You do not need HAL for things to work but is not going to heart.
 >

 > Also read
 >
 > make showinfo /usr/ports/sysutils/k3b

If I ever get a DVD writer and want to try k3b, I'll start here thanks.

Cheers, Ian