copying DVD material :: somewhat OT.

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Sat Dec 8 18:47:40 PST 2007

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 02:18:25PM -0700, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>
>> Gary Kline wrote:
>>
>>> 	Folks,
>>>
>>> 	IFF k3b works, and I think it might, I'll put up a howto
>>> 	on  my bsd virtual site.   Make this domain more useful.
>>> 	The help from this group has been outstanding, but getting things
>>> 	CD and DVD actually working has been a study in persseverancce.
>>>
>>> 	That said,  first,if there is a website for total dweebs, please
>>> 	post it; or send it privately.  I just bought some "Memorex
>>> 	DVD+RW" ; I want to record a 117 minute commercial DVD.
>>> 	On the back on the DVDs is says these are only good for 60 minutes
>>> 	in great qualty; it is good up to 120 minutes, and so on.
>>> 	Nutshell: how good will k3b and my Pioneer burner do on dubbing
>>> 	this professioally recorded disc?  Also, Does thw "RW" mean tthat
>>> 	I can re-tape over this with another edu DVD?
>>>
>>> 	gary
>>>
>>> 	PS:  I much prefer analogue cassettes; I've been taping stuff
>>> 	     since I taped "American Bandstand" off the TV :-)
>>>

>> I wrote K3b how to
>> http://www.bsd-srbija.org/dokumentacija/doku.php/rezanje_cd_i_dvd_diskova_pomo%C4%87u_k3b
>> but you will need little bit of Serbian language to read it.
>>

> 	Actually, my best friend for > 30 years comes from [ what was ]
> 	Yugoslavia; so he could surely help me with the translation.
>
> 	I think I have the k3b stuff actually workinng.  As of late FFriday
> 	night, k3b ran thru all of its tests.    That wasn't my question.
> 	I want to know
> 	more about what DVD blanks are good,better,best, and whether it is
> 	worth "wasting" a blank DVD in trying to copy a DVD that I borrowed
> 	from the library.
>
> 	I've googled arouund, tryiiing to get some  kind of specs that an
> 	EE can understand ... even if he kknows nothing about figital
> 	video.

I think that duplicating DVDs works like a charm on FreeBSD but I think
there is a better software in ports for that of K3b which is
kind a all in one generic GUI application. This is also a useful link
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html if you are trying to
understand DVD business.  There are definitely people on this mailing
list or on OpenBSD mailing list (I do not remember any more as I am on
both mailing lists) who have fantastic knowledge of DVD writable medias,
proprietary Video Formats and various issues that come with that including
the issues of regional coding and by that I do not mean just USA vs
Europe or Asia. Even inside of U. S. where I have being g living for the
past 12 years there are many different regional formats. I am clueless
about it.

As a mathematician I  am probably much less capable of understanding DVD
technical issues than you.

To be perfectly  honest  as a professional mathematician I am very
concern with the status of TeX port and the fact that two years after
teTeX was abolished by TeX community in favor of TeXLive there are no
even indication that the TeXLive will be ported to FreeBSD. Even in the
most crude form (4 packages) as it is done in OpenBSD would be better
than noting. Of course the Debian way (30 or so packages) would be my
preferable way as TeXLive is developing really rapidly in some areas.
My knowledge of porting is unfortunately inadequate to be able to help
with such a major project.

Cheers,
Predrag