Freebsd filesystem ( hard reboot )

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Sat Dec 8 14:48:24 PST 2007

> Exactly, which is why I thought that just bypassing all those
> interventions with -y was 'brushing under the carpet'. No?

Ah I see. Yes. Given that all bets are off, it's hoping for the best ;)

> I realise it would normally be excessively cautious to go for
> synchronous mounting, but what about for environments where power supply
> is such a major problem?

If write caching is disabled (and confirmed to truly be disabled), it should
not be needed. So as an added step beyond disabling write caching, it doesn't
feel particularly useful.

If write caching is still enabled, synchronous writes won't help except
perhaps to lower the statistical probability of running into problems (that's
just a guess).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'