relay host in sendmail?

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 12:21:42 PST 2007

Hi,

On 08/12/2007, jekillen <jekillen at prodigy.net> wrote:
> Hello:
> I am using Absolute BSD, Second Ed.
> and am looking in the section on Sendmail.
> I cannot find where to specify a relay host.
> I have a hosts that originate mail to remote
> recipients but use a mail hub (Postfix) on
> another machine on local network to
> relay this mail to the outside. It is not spam.
> These messages will be used to verify web
> client supplied e-mail addresses.
> Thank you in advance;
> Jeff K

you can specify a smart host in sendmail.mc (or the mc-file created
for your host). The macro you need is already in there, you just need
to uncomment it. It's something like:

dnl Dialup users should uncomment and define this appropriately
define(`SMART_HOST', `your.relay.host')

where your.relay.host is the hostname of your relay, respectively.

There's an alternative called the "nullhost", which just sends mail to
a relay. The host won't be able to receive mails, though:

FEATURE(`nullclient',`your.relay.host')

HTH
Christian

PS: There are some