looking for ideas: triple booting and personal data

Aryeh M. Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 10:37:10 PST 2007

Frank Staals wrote:
> Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>> I am creating a triple boot machine (FB, Linux, Vista) and want to keep
>> all non-system files (i.e. any thing I made vs. was installed by the OS
>> [including 3rd party software]) avaible (r/w) by all three OS's.   I
>> know I can do this by putting /usr/home on a NTFS partition but am
>> worried about the slowness of ntfs-3g/ntfsprogs (90% of the time I am in
>> FreeBSD and have several things going that need decent disk performence
>> [bit torrents]).  Any ideas?
>> BTW an added plus would be some way to automatically have one or all the
>> OS's maintain archival copies for backup purposes
>>

> For my dual-booting laptop ( FreeBSD , WinXP ) I'm using ext2 for my
> data partiton. Works like a charm for me ( Using
> http://www.fs-driver.org/ for WinXP and sysutils/e2fsprogs ) Only
> thing that can be anoying is when FreeBSD crashes and I have to fsck
> my entire data partiton which can take a while. But possibly this can
> be avoided by using ext3 instead of ext2 (But the utilities are the
> same ).

If that is the program I am thinking of I tried it on vista and it
doesn't work (I tried a fair number of things that claimed to support
extX FS's and all of them where a) non-funcitonal on vista [even in
compat mode], b) didn't allow for direct mounting in windows, c) where
reasonable priced [less then $50])