What's the point of the shell choice in single user mode? [now: keyboards]

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 09:01:51 PST 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 03:42:45PM +0100, Erik Trulsson wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 02:33:25PM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 01:56:33PM +0100, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> > >
> > > On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 12:43:35PM +0000, John Murphy wrote:
> > > >
> > <snip>

> > > You can use kbdcontrol(1) to load a new keyboard mapping. (Probably
> > > requires that /usr is already mounted to work correctly.)
> > >

> > > You can also specify in the kernel config file which keyboard
> > > layout should be used by default.  See the atkbd(4) or ukbd(4)
> > > manpages for details.
> > >

> > You can also specify it in /etc/rc.conf:
> >
> > keymap="uk.cp850"
>
> When you boot into single user mode (which the question was about)
> the settings in /etc/rc.conf has not been applied yet.  That happens
> later in the boot process.

Thanks for correcting me. I always go into single user from multi-user
so I guess it has been applied already.

Thanks for the tip about setting it in the kernel config, I'll do that
in case I have to boot into single user from boot-up.

The handbook seems a bit sparse about keyboards. Wouldn't it be a good
idea to recommend to all "foreign" users to set their keyboard in
their kernel config? I assume it defaults to US.

Just what you need in an emergency, a keyboard out of whack ;)

--

 Frank

 Contact info: http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/misc/contact.html