FreeBSD 6.2 inside VMWare Fusion ?

Michael Doyle itmngr at cooperationireland.org
Fri Dec 7 06:38:52 PST 2007

On 6 Dec 2007, at 15:47, Doug Poland wrote:

> Michael Doyle wrote:
>> Has anyone got FreeBSD 6.2 to load as a guest OS in VMWare Fusion
>> on a new MacBook Pro ?
> I have been running 6.2 on an iMac since early betas of VMWare Fusion
>
>> If so, could they give me pointers on what I need to do, since I
>> have tried this and failed.
> >
> Could you give some specific error messages?

I start a new Virtual Machine, select FreeBSD as the OS, FreeBSD 6 as
the
specific version (from the VM Ware Fusion menus)

Then insert a FreeBSD 6.2 install disk in the drive and run through
the setup process.
Select use entire disk, no boot manager, .... install the "Developer"
package,
no additional packages... the install runs to completion.

However, when, after installing the OS, I let the virtual machine
reboot, it hangs
after the POST without displaying the FreeBSD hardware probe messages.
No errors, nothing. It doesn't even get as far as the menu where you
select normal,
or acpi disabled, etc.

I downloaded an image created by someone else of a VMWare Workstation
image, and that
runs on my Mac under VMWare Fusion,  but I am unable to compile and
install VMWare Tools
("make all" succeeded, but "make install" failed with a file not found
error...)

If you like I can copy/paste those errors in a seperate email. I don't
understand why I cannot create
my own bootable VMWare image though ?

Mike