geom gmirror question

Dino Vliet dino_vliet at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 02:01:12 PST 2007

  Forwarded Message

        From:  "Dino Vliet" <dino_vliet at yahoo.com>    CC:  zouk at tiscali.nl    To:  freebsd-questions at freebsd.org    Date:  Sat, 7 Apr 2007 03:55:20 -0700 (PDT)    Subject:  hardware problems?..how to disable geom?    Plain Text Attachment [ Scan and Save to Computer ]

Hi folks,    I have sinned:-(    I have (for testing purposes) activated geom for mirroring on my   freebsd 6.2 via c3 cpu system. However, I used two different brand IDE   harddisks but identical in capacity.    I have:  ad0: 76319MB <MAXTOR STM3802110A 3.AAK> at ata0-master UDMA100  ad3: 76319MB <Seagate ST3802110A 3.AAJ> at ata1-slave UDMA100    At first everything worked, but lately I have noticed some weird   things:  1) In the beginning the gmirror status command was showing the complete   status for the components ad0 or ad3 (it was altering I guess due to   the round robin thing I choose)   However since a few weeks, only the ad0 component shows the complete   status    (the only thing I did in between was removing the seagate harddisk once   to try to go to a pc mall and buy a second one but when I returned I   just reattached it (I hadn't switched the pc on though in the mean time   so I don't think it's an issue))    2) I started to have problems building the
 ports and make buildword    3) bash core dumped on my (I couldn't log in nomaly anymore and had to   use csh)    4) now I see that rsyncd, freshclam and clamav are core dumping when   the machine boots up:  GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad3 detected.  GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad3 activated.  GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad0 activated.  GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider mirror/gm0 launched.  Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mirror/gm0s1a  pid 896 (rsync), uid 0: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)  pid 928 (clamd), uid 0: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)  pid 934 (freshclam), uid 0: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)      So I want to bring the machine back to its normal state by doing this:    a) remove seagate harddisk  b) remove the mirror  c) see if everything works fine again because I don't want to reinstall   (I CAN GET AWAY WITH THIS RIGHT?)    The question is, how di I get rid of the mirror? Or is it better to   order a new seagate harddisk, get rid
 of the maxtor harddisk and install   the new seagate harddisk in stead of the maxtor one and rebuild the   mirror?    Thanks for your kind help      ***********************

Hi folks,

I've bought my new hardware and want to give this another try.

On the documentation sacttered around on the net I read that

it's better to have 3 harddisks where one is for the main os

and the other two are mirrored in stead of a situation where

the OS resides on one of the two mirrored disks.

Can you give me some advice on this?

I have three identical seagate harddisks and want to put two

in a mirror setup with the OS on it, and use the other as

spare drive, in case sonmething goes wrong.

Thanks in advanced

Dino Vliet