looking for online text editor

Jonathan McKeown jonathan+freebsd-questions at hst.org.za
Tue Dec 4 23:01:52 PST 2007

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 22:14, David Banning wrote:
> >      running the java filemanager - same goes for attempting to run
> >      mindterm-ssh. Is there some plain text editor program
> >      out there that will allow me to simply login and edit my files in
> >      plain text - (not a gui html editor) ?
> >
> >    I use putty to ssh to remote servers and use vi to edit files once
> >    logged in to the server.
>
> But putty has be installed on the machine you are working on, right?

Not necessarily. When you go to the download site for putty and click on
the .exe (<http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe>),
Windows will ask you whether you want to download the program or run it. Tell
Windows to run it. It may give you the odd warning but eventually it should
start up a putty window. (It's possible even this can be locked down tight on
a Windows box - but usually it isn't blocked).

Jonathan