jabberd will not start on reboot, only starts manually

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Tue Dec 4 08:16:40 PST 2007

> On December 04, 2007 at 10:11AM Daniel Bye wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 10:04:16PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:
> > I am running FreeBSD 6.2 with Jabberd installed from ports:
> > jabberd-2.1.18
> >

> > When I reboot the machine, jabberd will not start, but it will start if I
> > manually restart it with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/jabberd restart
> >
> > /var/log/messages shows:
> >
> > jabberd/c2s[989]: mysql: connection to database failed: Can't connect to local
> > MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
> > jabberd/c2s[989]: failed to initialize auth module 'mysql'
> >
> > I added 'mysql' to the REQUIRED line in the startup script for jabberd but
> > this did not solve the problem.  It still appears as though jabberd attempts
> > to connect to mysql before mysql is ready for the connection.
> >
> > Can anyone assist with this problem?
>
> Try removing the # BEFORE: LOGIN line from the jabberd control script.
> I haven't tested it, but from a cursory glance at the respective control
> scripts, it feels like a sane first guess...

I had a somewhat similar problem with Postfix+saslauthd+mysql awhile ago. I
fixed it by putting a 'sleep 2' statement in the rc.d file of postfix even
though I had a "REQUIRED" statement for 'saslauthd' in postfix. It seemed that
saslauthd was not always starting up fast enough for postfix to see it.
Perhaps you might try something like that with 'jabberd'.  I placed the
statement immediately after 'KEYWORD'.

--
Gerard