FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE build error

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Mon Dec 3 21:41:38 PST 2007

     On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 17:13:41 +0100 "Jack Raats" <jack at jarasoft.net> wrote:

>After a sucessfull build of the kernel and world, make installworld gives the following errors:
>
>install-info --quiet  --defsection="Programming & development tools."  --defentry="* libcom_err: (com_err).        A Common Error Description Library for UNIX."  com_err.info /usr/share/info/dir
>install-info: /usr/share/info/dir: empty file
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/src/lib/libcom_err/doc.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/src/lib/libcom_err.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/src/lib.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/src.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/src.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/src.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/src.
>

>FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE
>source file"s: december 1 at 13:00 hours DUtch local time (using cvsup)
>
>Who can help?

     "make buildworld" is not clean for multiple-job makes in 6.2, so it may
also not be clean in 6.3-*.  I got errors in 6.2-STABLE with -j3 in the
MAKEFLAGS.  Removing -j3 eliminated the errors.  Apparently, the dependencies
on directory and file creation are not really correct in some cases, so a job
in a multi-job make will sometimes try to use a file or directory before it
has been created by another job.
     If you have been running "make buildworld" with -jn, where n is the
maximum number of parallel jobs you wish to run, try running it without that
option.  If you haven't been running it that way, then I apologize for the
noise. :-)
     Note that the above applies to the buildworld target, but parallel (i.e.,
multi-job) makes are fine for building the kernel and do save some time.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG