mail problem, using postfix & dovecot

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Mon Dec 3 18:21:42 PST 2007

Erik Cederstrand wrote:
> Chuck Robey wrote:
>> I have my mail system running on my FreeBSD server.  It uses postfix
>> outgoing, and dovecot to manage the Imap server, and finally Seamonkey
>> either locally or from one of my other machines, to read/write my
>> mail, it makes for a very portable mail system, but I am now convinced
>> I have one major bug.  It's that I'm getting too darn many duplicate
>> mails.
>>
>> I didn't complain when that happened on all the FreeBSD posts, because
>> we have so daarn many people crossposting, it'd be foolish to try to
>> fix that.  BUT I just got dupes on some mail from Usenix, and I know
>> Usenix isn't double posting me.
>>
>> Any  idea of any common sort of mail mistake I might have made?  Mail
>> isn't my real forte, so I might well  have bungled something.  Any
>> sort of hint, right or wrong, would help, and especially the wrong
>> ones: I'll run them down anyhow, and during that running down, I often
>> find the real error, so don't think I'll jump upon you for stupid
>> suggestions.
>> The only sort of thing I won't try is suggestions to change the basic
>> method I use: I know Imap *can* be made to work, so I won't switch to
>> using something like popmail, I don't want to pop my mail.  Other than
>> that, any suggestion will be checked, believe me.
>
> Just to narrow down the problem, take a look at the full headers of the
> duplicate mails and see if the mails are exact copies (i.e. the
> duplication occurs internally) or are in fact recieved py Postfix twice.
> Check the mail logs to see what Postfix, Dovecot and whatever else you
> have in the mix (SpamAssassin? Procmail? Postgrey?) are doing. Also make
> sure you're not just recieving the extra emails from some address you've
> set to forward to your normal address.

Yup, that got it.  Your own message was dup'd to me, and I found out
what was wrong.  When I got back to my apartment finally, from the
extended hospital stay, all of my mail subs to chuckr at freebsd.org had
lapsed from non-receipt.  I'd lost my old FreeBSD machine, and while I
was still pretty disabled, it took me a long while to get the machine
and all the smoking hardware back in service, and when I did, I
restarted all my old subs, but because I'd lost the machine, all my old
ssh keys went up in smoke, and I now couldn't get back into my
freebsd.org login (remember I was a committer) so I was forced to
restart my mail fromm my own hosts at chuckr.org.  Well, somehow, all
the old FreeBSD.org subs kicked back in finally (they must occaisonally
test forever, because I was laid up about 6 months).  So, all I need to
do is to single up my  subs.  Too bad I couldn't get the new mail
application to do what the old majordomo would do (give me the list of
all lists a particular login name is subscribed to).

So.thanks for kicking me into doing that testing.