laptop

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Dec 3 16:56:54 PST 2007

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 11:01:48AM -0700, Predrag Punosevac wrote:

> ThinkPad T23 is around $200 and ThinkPad T30 is around $300. They would
> work like a charm with FreeBSD.
> If you are going to spend $500 you might as well by new lap top.
> Personally, I would not buy anything else but ThinkPad T series.

I have a special place in my heart for Thinkpads.  They serve me well.

A Thinkpad with Intel wireless and either Intel or NVIDIA graphics should
work just fine.  At the moment, ATI/AMD graphics can still be a problem,
though AMD (new owners of ATI) has recently been working on open source
drivers, which may reverse that trend in the future.

My Thinkpad R52 works like a charm.  T series Thinkpads are basically the
big brother of R series Thinkpads, and also work exceedingly well (my
favorite laptop of all time was a T24p).

If you want to be a little more adventurous, you could always look into
an ASUS Eee PC.  It's a tiny little laptop that comes with a custom
Debian derivative pre-installed.  I hear it works beautifully with
OpenBSD, which makes me think FreeBSD would probably work on it as well.
Of course, if I ever got one, I'd probably just use OpenBSD on it.  After
all, something that small and (compared to a Thinkpad) limited would
probably not be something on which I'd need to run the most demanding
mutlimedia applications or something like that.  It's also less than
$400.

My next laptop will almost certainly be another Thinkpad, though.

MacUser, Nov. 1990: "There comes a time in the history of any project when
it becomes necessary to shoot the engineers and begin production."