Using brandelf

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun Dec 2 11:09:14 PST 2007

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

> Chuck Robey wrote:
>> Can you use brandelf to read the elf type of a binary?  The man page
>> shows a usage that might possibly do this, but doesn't bother to say
>> what that usage does.
>>
>> To be honest, I need to do some work with the linux stuff, and the
>> usage of /compat/linux and /usr/compat/linux, well, I don't
>> understand, and I haven't seen a good enough explanation yet.  Stuff
>> like the ld.so.conf file to configure linux's ldconfig, it assumes
>> the /compat/linux prefix.  Do all the binaries do that?  I mean, the
>> browser files, they use a sh scri[t to kick them off, do they use
>> that prefix, or assume stuff?
>>
>> I need to know this so I can keep going forward on getting flash to
>> work.
>
> If you're attempting to rebrand the linux flash exec (I assume 9 since
> I know for a fact 7 works right out of the box [ff 2.0.0.9, gnome
> 2.20.1, amd64 8-current]) no amount of hacking will make it like
> FreeBSD since it uses some linux specific stuff... your better off
> learning compat..

I found a Linux emulation app, one that installed libs, that put it's
libs into /usr/local/lib, and I guess I wanted some more data, but I
went ahead, moved them to a place that seemed good to me under
/compat/linux (I hafe a Gentoo system, I know that Linux premendously
abuses their /usr/bin and /usr/llib, to stick their packages into,
mixing their OS and user stuff completely.  Anyhow, I moved the libs,
used the linux ldconfig, and now the libs user's work fine.  That was a
couple of weeks ago.  I wanted to know enough to determine if it was
worth a PR on this.  It seems to me that a whole lot of various ports
put things where they don't belong, because LOCALBASE and X11BASE seem
to be disregarded by some ports also.  I found a font port that used a
search of pkgconfig files to figure out  where to install to,  and I
couldn't fix it.  I personally don't care for the fact that X11 ports
now all install into /usr/local, and I found that no amount of
manipulation of LOCALBASE or X11BASE fixes this.  I just gave up and
installed (unwillingly) to /usr/local.  At least, it's not like Linux,
which does largely without any /usr/local.  That much makes separating
system and packages for Linux just about impossible.