Configuring FreeBSD 6.2 to use sendmail for sending only

Rob r17fbsd at xxiii.com
Thu Aug 30 18:55:30 PDT 2007

L Goodwin wrote:
>>> What specific steps (including network-specific)
>> need to be performed to get sendmail working for
>> outgoing mail only in a secure manner?

I suggest ssmtp in the ports:  ports/mail/ssmtp

Or it's web site:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/mail/ssmtp.html

"A secure, effective and simple way of getting mail off a system to your
mail hub. It contains no suid-binaries or other dangerous things - no
mail spool to poke around in, and no daemons running in the background.
Mail is simply forwarded to the configured mailhost. Extremely easy
configuration."

Only needs 4 or 5 lines in a config file.  Read up on the "make replace"
process to install it in place of sendmail.

   -RW