BDECFLAGS in make.conf

Pietro Cerutti gahr at gahr.ch
Thu Aug 30 12:09:56 PDT 2007

Andrey Shuvikov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The example make.conf has a comment about BDECFLAGS variable, which is
> "suggested for use in developing FreeBSD". But when I tried to use it
> "make buildworld" fails ("inline" is not defined). Is this variable
> really supposed to be in make.conf, or did I misunderstand something?

Though very useful, the BDECFLAGS are a bit old.
The problem here is that inline is a C99 feature, while the BDECFLAGS
contain the -ansi switch, which rejects all programs not conforming with
the C90 standard.
I'm sure that inline is not the only thing of FreeBSD which isn't
conforming to ansi C (not to say that's a bad thing).

As a remark, I would suggest not only to use them in developing FreeBSD,
but also in developing /*on*/ FreeBSD.