Ethernet controllers

Adam J Richardson fatman at crackmonkey.us
Thu Aug 30 09:10:06 PDT 2007

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> I think most ethernet cards are fine with FreeBSD, if you're prepared
>> to consider Project Evil aka ndisgen. [Warning: It's painful. Don't do
>> it if you
>
> the project evil works fine on one machine which motherboard has
> completely unknown ethernet card. and it works fine :)

I've had the same experience. What a tool! To be able to take a part of
one OS and cram it into another and have it work seamlessly! Amazing.
One thing I have learned though is to go through the whole ndisgen
process again after a kernel/world update. Obvious when you think about
it, because ndisgen requires the kernel source, but not so obvious at
the time.

Actually finding the right XP driver for any given NIC can be a fearsome
quest, so it's not a tool for any but the most adventurous new
sysadmins, or those like me who are used to hunting down obscure .sys
files across the trackless plains of the web.

Regards,
Adam J Richardson