somehow OT: SMALL named and dhcpd

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Aug 29 11:10:22 PDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> anyone here know a SMALL named and dhcpd servers?
>
> small i mean no more than say 200kB both (just binaries). the
> dumbest dhcpd would be enough (automatic assignment to all machines
> on given interfaces), named just to keep single domain and forward
> everything else to master.

tinydns+dnscache from D. Bernstein's stuff from /usr/ports/dns/djbdns
would probably fit.

A DHCP server is significantly more complicated, as it has to keep a
database of leases granted and deal with a varient of client options
(even if it can't answer all of them them, it still needs to be able
to respond to the rest of the DHCP request).  I think you can remove
most of the options from the ISC DHCP server and get it down to
around 400KB.  I'm not aware of anything smaller....

--
-Chuck