"READ_BIG timed out" errors on acd0

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Tue Aug 28 23:56:26 PDT 2007

Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> How about if you read  first page from Chapter 18 from the Handbook
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html
>
> There are several rock solid command line programs for burning  CDs  and
> DVDs.  Burn cd is  the simplest one.  cdrecord  is the second one.

Except I am not trying to burn a CD. I am trying to rip (extract CD
audio tracks into a file). Both burncd and cdrecord are for burning
(writing) CDs, which is not the issue.

Now, the dd command mentioned on that page... that I am familiar with,
and already had tried. Through me for a loop at first since I thought it
was outputting a .wav file, but once I realized it was just a raw PCM
file I was able to play it fine. So it works.

cdda2wav seems to extract a wav file fine, with no errors. File is playable.

cdparanoia also creates a playable wav file just fine.

> Forgive me for saying this but before we declare something is wrong with
> hardware lets check if the thing can record from the command line when
> you are supper user. This way we will check if something is wrong with
> hardware or with configuration files i.e. permissions , links  etc.
> If you can rip CD from the command line hardware is OK.

It's not that I thought I had bad hardware, but I figured I might need
some config/settings tweaks, especially since it's an SATA drive.

Anyhow, sorry for the confusion... don't mean to seem dense. Just didn't
seem like we were on the same page (burning vs. ripping). Hopefully the
command-line results give you an idea of where to look next.