nv 8400 and Marvell

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Tue Aug 28 19:43:39 PDT 2007

Hello,

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 05:04:34 +1000 (EST)
Ilya Nix <ilya.interaction at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Hi. I purchased a laptop with nVIDIA GeForce 8400 and very want to
> install FreeBSD, but X11 can’t  start up

You probably haven't installed x11/nvidia-driver. According to the
documentation of 100.14.11 driver,

  GeForce 8400 GS
  GeForce 8400M GT
  GeForce 8400M GS
  GeForce 8400M G

are supported. (Make sure your ports tree is up-to-date.)

> and FreeBSD 6.2 can’t recognize my network card (Marvell Yukon). How
> to correct the problem? Thank you

Please compare the lists of i386 supported hardware for 6.2-RELEASE:

  http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/hardware-i386.html

and for 6.2-STABLE:

  http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/6-STABLE/hardware/i386/article.html

This means that you have to update to 6.2-STABLE in order to get
support for Marvell Yukon cards.

Nikola Lečić