circumventing a powermac/NAT router

Adam J Richardson fatman at crackmonkey.us
Mon Aug 27 09:05:18 PDT 2007

Luis Morales wrote:
> I have been advised here previously to conceal my home network behind an old
> powermac which would be used as a NAT router.  Now I have to consider
> whether this is worth the expense because if someone is dead intent on
> pilfering your research papers and they know where you submit them, wouldn't
> they be able to defeat your secure network by stealing your files on the
> receiving end?

Hi Luis.

Yes, this is completely possible. No system in the world is immune to
determined cracking unless it is turned off, sealed in concrete and
dropped in the ocean. Maybe not even then.

When it comes to security, a good analogy might be: you can't run faster
than the wolf, so just try to run faster than your friend.

HtH,
Adam J Richardson