How to make good Squid(Proxy ) Server in FreeBSD 5.4 ?

Tek Bahadur Limbu teklimbu at wlink.com.np
Mon Aug 27 03:41:22 PDT 2007

Hi Prakash,

Prakash Poudyal wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> Can anybody give me idea related to configure the squid (proxy server). I
> need to know hhow much I need to fix the cache memeory . My machine consist
> of 2 GB Ram and dual processor . And operating system is FreeBSD 5.4. And I
> do have client more than 500 and most of them are research orriented. And
> also I am trying to configure another proxy server as for the parent proxy.
> So please tell me how to make parent proxy as well. So please give me some
> idea or tips so that I could run the server properly and my clients would
> have a good smile in there face.

Configuring a Squid proxy server is a long and enduring process. Also it
depends upon what you want to achieve. A high hit ratio rate, fast
median service times, etc. There is no shortcut in setting up a proxy
server. As time goes on, you need different settings to tune it. What
worked today might not work tomorrow.

With FreeBSD, you have an 2 options to install Squid. Either from ports
or source.

If you are install Squid from source, the following options might help:

'--enable-removal-policies=lru heap'
'--enable-storeio=coss,ufs diskd null aufs' '--enable-delay-pools'
'--enable-snmp' '--enable-cache-digests' '--with-large-files'
'--enable-large-cache-files' '--enable-kill-parent-hack'

Also, I suggest you to go with the latest version of Squid which is
squid-2.6.14 currently.

Version-2.6 is extremely CPU friendly.

Regarding the cache_mem parameter, just use 32 MB for a default option.

A system with 2 GB of memory and Dual processor should be able to handle
500 or more customers.

Regarding a parent-child hierarchy using Squid, just configure and
install the parent Squid as you would do normally.

In your child Squid proxy, just add the following lines in your squid.conf:

cache_peer ParentProxyIP       parent 3128  3130

That should do it for a basic parent/child relationship.

Your Squid Port and ICP port might be different.

Hope it helps.

Thanking you...