xfce 4.4 questions

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Sun Aug 26 12:58:21 PDT 2007

I told you before. You should not have snapped the ports during the 6.1
installation and you should not have used CD to get Xfce. What you now
have is a light version of Xfce 4.2.
Metaport probably doesn't work because your port three is not up today
or you have some dependency issues in particular related to the fact
that you have XOrg 6.9 vs XOrg 7.2. I need some output form the compiler
to say anything more about this.  My guess is as good as yours. I hope
some more knowledgeable says something.

The thinks which will not work are auto mounting, CD/DVD players, CD
ripping, printing pretty much anything that needs permissions links and
enabling in rc.conf file.
The Handbook is exceptionally written but you really need to know it to
do full configuration your-self. The hand book is also very wide in
scope and is not written for particular group of users (Desktop for
instance) The following document
is also very useful http://www.freebsd.org/  and is mostly written for
Desktop users like you and me.
It talks about configuring Gnome but the same goes for any full Desktop
like KDE or Xfce. The easiest way to configure Xfce is to
copy configuration files from FreeSBIE (Based on FreeBSD 6.2)
project http://www.freesbie.org/ which uses Xfce as its default desktop
environment. You could
also use their live CD to check your hardware since if it not working
with FreeSBIE it is likely it will need some extra configuration with
FreeBSD or it might not work at all (like some audio card of Wi device)

I hate to suggest this but if you are  finding  configuration
overwhelming (the fact that you seems unaware of the fact no daemons
will work until you enable it in rc.conf file is an indication) you
should probably try to install PC-BSD or DesktopBSD versions of FreeBSD.
With a little bit luck with your hardware you will get fully functional
KDE desktop environment and everything would work out of box.
After playing it with couple of weeks you will fill ready to do full
customized installation your self or to disable KDE and use maybe some
light Window Manager instead. I think Xfce should not have any
dependency issues with KDE so you would be able just to turn of KDE
install Xfce meta port and have everything working.

Richard Deal wrote:
> [...]
> install, simply type:
>
> # pkg_add -r xfce4
>
> Alternatively, to build from source, use the ports collection:
>
> # cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4
> # make install clean
>

>> Richard Deal wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install xfce 4.4 on my FreeBSD 6.1 box, (which I just
>>> upgraded via sysinstall). It ain't workin' and I sure could use some
>>> help. Full disclosure: I'm new to FreeBSD, although I do have a
>>> basic working knowledge of *nix fundamentals.
>>>
>>> I was able to install xfce 4.2, but the install is broken -- allow
>>> me to explain. Xfce 4.2  does install, I can start it, but several
>>> features don't work. For example, according to the docs I should see
>>> a menu bar (and options) on xfterm, but it isn't there. Several
>>> other install defaults are busted too. I've reinstalled the OS
>>> several times from a 'minimal' install to 'install EVERYTHING', via
>>> the CD, upgrades via sysinstall, via FTP. All were successful). I've
>>> installed  XFCE4 according to your docs ("pkg_add -r xfce4") several
>>> times, and from /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4 ("make install clean"), but
>>> still the same problems. So, I thought I'd try installing a newer
>>> version of xfce (4.4).
>>>
>>> First question: what is a 'meta port', what does it do and what are
>>> it's limitations? Can't find anything in your docs that speak to
>>> this (nor any of the books I have, most notably the recent 'FreeBSD
>>> 6 Unleashed'). Reading the Ports page of your site, specifically the
>>> *xfce-4.4.1_1
>>> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11-wm/xfce4>
>>> *metaport; 'meta' seems to imply "run this and you'll install all
>>> the basics you need to run XFCE 4.4". Either it doesn't work or I've
>>> misinterpreted this. Under xfce-4.4.1, it says: "Requires:...." --
>>> do I really have to install _every_single_pkg_listed_ BEFORE I
>>> install the xfce-4.4.1 metaport??? If so, that seems a bit much. Why
>>> can't there be a single manifest file which calls/installs all those
>>> required pkg's as a part of the metaport installation? In order to
>>> install xfce 4.4, do I have to manually install each and every
>>> file/port/pkg listed there which references xfce4.4?
>>>
>>> After doing a fresh OS install (6.1) from CD (X-Kern-Developer
>>> package), followed immediately by an upgrade (via sysinstall/FTP)
>>> which included an istall of the entire ports tree, I tried several
>>> ways to install xfce4.4:
>>>
>>> 1) downloaded xfce-4.4.1_1.tbz and ran pkg_add against it. It
>>> started but all I got was "Package <insert_names_here> not found!".
>>> If it knows what it needs, why can't it just bust out to your ftp
>>> site and get it and install it?
>>>
>>> 2) downloaded from your site everything in
>>> /pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/x11-wm/xfce/,  which seemed to have all
>>> those required files. Once downloaded, as noted above I ran pkg_add
>>> locally. Some packages installed, but most did not because their
>>> dependencies (such as glib-2.12.13) were not there. If xfce4.4 needs