/var or /usr for data?

rloefgren at forethought.net rloefgren at forethought.net
Sat Aug 25 04:32:18 PDT 2007

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> It would appear that the "proper" allocation of filesystems on FreeBSD is
>> to put all data in /usr.  I'm used to this and have been doing it for
>> years.
>
> my favourite "proper" allocation is to make ONE partition (/) and nothing
> more. and forget all problems about how to partition your drive right...

I've made a quick look-see through my copies of "The Complete FreeBSD" and
"Absolute BSD" and can't find the reference, but I recall reading
somewhere in my 4.x days that FreeBSD used a different algorithm to write
to the /var directory, if it was on its own filesystem, because /var was
written to a lot (holding logs and all.) Because of this, and all the way
up to 6.2 today, I put /var on its own filesystem, after / and swap.
Where the old AIX wonks used to call the "outer middle" of the disk. Was
this different algorithm really the case? And, now with UFS2, is it still
the case? I still put pgsql/data on /var.