load script at bootup

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Fri Aug 24 09:13:36 PDT 2007

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

>I also have a script that I want to start at boot time and I simply
>symlinked it to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
>It starts fine but now I wonder if maybe this is not the proper way to
>start up scripts?

I don't think there's anything wrong with that solution, and I myself
prefer it.  (I symlink from a CVSed area).  rc.d is very flexible and
everything that happens at boot time is all in one (or two :-)) places.
And you can run something every time the machine is shut down as well as
when it's rebooted.  Can't do that with cron :-)

£0.02

--Alex