portupgrade and make options

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 24 06:31:54 PDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 02:04:16PM +0100, Adam J Richardson wrote:
> Michael S wrote:
>> Thanks a lot.
>> By the way, will it attempt to use -j4 for make
>> install?
>
> Should do, yes. Robert Huff is correct when he says this will affect
> everything using make. I can't think why that would be inappropriate, but
> no doubt Robert has some scenarios in mind.
>
> I'm too unsophisticated for the 'scalpel' approach. I still wield 'Club of
> Noobiness +3'. :P

Fortunately, there is a way to turn the axe into a scalpel. :-)

You can put stuff in make.conf so that it will only affect the ports
you want. Like this;

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/multimedia/mplayer}
WITH_DVD_DEVICE=/dev/cd1
WITH_CDROM_DEVICE=/dev/cd1
.endif

If the directory where make is invoked from ends in /multimedia/mplayer,
the variables inside the if-block will be set.

This works well because every update utility in the end invokes make to
build the port.

Roland