SATA to PCI cards

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Thu Aug 23 16:18:52 PDT 2007

I've had a huge sata issue with my promise card since I added two need
sata3.0 disks to my two old sata1.5 disks.  Turning off smartd seemed
to make it go away, however.  Never had issues with a promise board
before.  In the interim I bought a HiPoint, which appears to be the
cadillac of sub-$300 cards, but I've yet to tweak the drivers into a
functiona state.  I also tried one of the $19 cards and was told by
this list that they have drivers and appear to work fine, but will
corrupt your data bigtime, crash unexpectedly, etc.  Mine was a
rosewill card, but lots of vendors are using the $19 variants.

Steve

On 8/22/07, Bahman M. <b.movaqar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, I've had good luck with the Promise brand PCI-SATA cards on 6.x. We are
> > using this method to evolve older machines to SATA.
> Thanks for the hint. Would you tell me why did you choose Promise
> brand as it's expensive compared to the other brands?
>
> Bahman
>

> > >Hi all,
> > >
> > >I'm running FreeBSD 6.2.
> > >$ uname -a
> > >FreeBSD attila 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12 10:40:27
> > >UTC 2007     root at dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> > >  i386
> > >
> > >My motherboard which is an ASUS A7V8X-X doesn't support SATA. I
> > >searched the internet and found out that there are SATA to PCI cards
> > >for my situation. Is anyone using such cards? Will they cause any
> > >problem with FreeBSD 6.2?
> > >
> > >By the way, I'd appreciate any suggestions for a good SATA to PCI card to
> > >buy.
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance,
> > >Bahman
> >
> > Yes, I've had good luck with the Promise brand PCI-SATA cards on 6.x. We are
> > using this method to evolve older machines to SATA.
> >
> > HTH....
> >
> > Jack

Steve Franks, KE7BTE
Staff Engineer