spammers harvesting emaill address from this list

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Aug 23 06:52:25 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 09:39:43AM -0400, fbsd2 wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 09:11:21AM -0400, fbsd2 wrote:
> > It only takes 2-3 weeks after changing my email address I use on the list
> > before I start receiving spam on the new email address.
> > Other non-fbsd lists I belong to remove the posters email address before
> the
> > post gets sent to the list members.
> > Why can't this list do the same thing so the posters email address don't
> > show up in the archives on the news group servers where spammers harvest
> the
> > posters email address for targeting spam to?
>
> Because then you would not be able to send your reply to the person asking a
> question.  Keep in mind that many people who post here are *not* subscribed
> to the list and therefore will not be able to read answers that only go to
> the list.  Therefore their e-mail addresses need to be visible to everybody.

For this list (freebsd-questions@) in particular it is intentionally and
explicitly the case that one does not need to be subscribed to post here.
This is because it is the main support forum for FreeBSD, and much
documentation exists directing people to ask their questions here.

The list admins do have their priorities straight - they just have different
priorities than you do.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson