xdm fails! can't find "pcidata"

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Aug 22 23:33:32 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 12:16:10AM +0400, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:11:47 -0700 Gary Kline wrote:
>
> > 	I just rebooted my DNS server and now X fails. I'm pretty sure I
> > 	did everything re the xorg instructions in UPDATING.  The error
> > 	message in /var/lob/Xorg.0.log says exactly::
>
> > (II) Loader running on freebsd
> > (II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
> > (WW) Warning, couldn't open module pcidata
> > (II) UnloadModule: "pcidata"
> > (EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)
>
> > 	How can I fix this?  I find pcidata deep in the
> > 	/usr/sys/src.../dev directory.  Nothing in my KERNCONF=GENERIC
> > 	file.   Insights, anybody??
>
> I've seen something like this after Xorg-6.9 to Xorg-7.1 update. Seems
> that I succeeded after deletting my old xorg.conf file, creating a new
> one and fitting it.

	Yeah, you're right; creating a new one would have been the most
	logical thing.  But at least I learned that the "modules" have
	been moved to /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules.  I did a wholesale
	1,$s/X11R6/local/gp and that failed because the old path was
	/usr/X11R6/lib/modules.

	I'll know if this works in the morning localtime.  My brain is
	fried.

	cheers,
	gary

--